CRE Portfolio Underwriting Manager
Job Location7830 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, MD
Oversees the loan underwriting and portfolio management responsibilities of the group. Works closely with the Senior Underwriting Manager,, RMs and Market Executives to ensure adequate portfolio management coverage across the department. Reviews loan analysis and modification memorandums to ensure consistency of C&I underwriting standards and completeness of underlying assessment. Provides assistance to RM teams when structuring and sizing prospective loan transactions. Manages the PM team through the quarterly surveillance process.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees a team of highly-qualified portfolio managers. Manage and oversee daily operations and staff in their performance; holding them accountable for qualitative and quantifiable results ensuring that proper procedures are followed and that all functions are completed within allotted timeframes.
- Performs all managerial related tasks including performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, interviewing, hiring of candidates and provide necessary training and coaching. Assesses skills and abilities to leverage team performance and provide targeted coaching to help improve associate skills and career growth and ongoing direct one-on-one coaching
- Coordinates workload of Portfolio Managers to ensure timely delivery of completed loan underwriting packages to the appropriate approval authority.
- Assesses skills and abilities to leverage team performance and provide targeted coaching to help improve associate skills and career growth and ongoing direct one-on-one coaching
- Provides oversight for front-line portfolio management including, but not limited to, quarterly surveillance, annual credit reviews, monitoring of monthly or quarterly reporting (i.e. borrowing base certificates, sales reports, leasing reports, operating statements, rent rolls, etc.) and loan covenant compliance.
- Works with the Senior Underwriter to create and implement new portfolio management and underwriting procedures.
- May manage a portion of the loan portfolio as needed or float to assist RM’s within their department in support of underwriting, modifying or managing loans.
- Works with team on past dues, exceptions, reviewing and signing off on advances and borrowing bases.
- Evaluates and reports individual loan risks through management of and participation in the quarterly loan surveillance program
- Participates on phone calls and/or face-to-face meetings with prospective clients.
- HS Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or related field.
- 10 years of experience in portfolio management and commercial underwriting including structuring and pricing loan transactions. Must be proficient in evaluating commercial credit risk.
- Formal or in-house credit training required
- Previous supervisor or leadership experience preferred.