Check Exceptions Manager
Job Location11900 Bournefield Way, Suite 150, Silver Spring, MD
Eagle Bancorp, Inc. headquartered in Bethesda, MD, was incorporated in 1997 to serve as the bank holding company for EagleBank. Eagle Bancorp is a publicly traded company under the symbol EGBN. EagleBank commenced banking operations on July 20, 1998, and currently operates 20 banking offices: six in Suburban, Maryland, five located in the District of Columbia; and nine in Northern Virginia. The Bank was founded to specifically address the business and personal needs of local business owners. It has been answering and exceeding those needs for over 20 years, providing custom financial solutions, local access to senior management, quick response, local decision-making, and a deeply-rooted dedication to the local community.
EagleBank also recognizes the challenges its employees currently face in a post-Covid world. We understand the need to be creative and flexible when it comes to telecommuting and other alternative work arrangements. Since the pandemic started, EagleBank has prioritized the health and safety of its employees, and this position is eligible for our hybrid remote work program which currently allows eligible employees to work from home two days a week.
Our Mission is to be the most respected and profitable community bank by putting relationships first to the delight of our customers, employees, and shareholders, and relentlessly deliver the most compelling service and value. Eagle Bank’s Values are: Relationships F·I·R·S·T: Flexible, Involved, Responsive, Strong, and Trusted.
Responsible for the management of all daily functions, operations, employee performance, future development and success of the Check Exceptions Department. Instill a climate of continuous improvement, with focus on productivity, quality and scalability. Serves as the second line of defense to assess and effectively manage the risk associated with the Check Exceptions Department, ensuring that business objectives and activities are in alignment with the Bank’s risk management framework and appetite. Provide operational support to Finance, Branch Administration, Frontline Sales Team, and other departments as needed. Ensures that all activities adhere to bank policies and procedures and are in compliance with federal regulatory requirements
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and oversee daily operations and staff in their performance of daily tasks, holding them accountable for qualitative and quantifiable results ensuring that proper procedures are followed and that all functions are completed within allotted timeframes.
- Performs all managerial related tasks including performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, interviewing, hiring of candidates and provide necessary training and coaching.
- Direct the development, approval, and implementation of departmental policies and procedures. Seek continued process improvements and ensures adherence to processes currently in place to prevent monetary losses. Ensuring that work results and processes comply with relevant laws and with established EagleBank policies, procedures, and practices, including, but not limited to, the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA).
- Responsible for supporting Fraud Investigations function in resolution of various types of check fraud through investigation, communication with other banks, tracking logs and determiing final resolution.
- Responsible for reconcilements including the Federal Reserve.
- Research, troubleshoot and resolve complex issues for internal and external clients as it realtes to check payments and collection items.
- Participate or lead projects that impact operational efficiency with the Check Exceptions Department.
- Develop, maintain and test Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Plan for the Items Processing Department.
- Prepare management reports to reflect departmental production and efficiency.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in information management, business management, finance or related field preferred; in lieu of 3 additional years of banking operations experience
- 7 years experience in check exceptions and items processing
- 3 years of supervisory or leadership experience
Required Certifications, Licenses or systems needed :
- Core Banking Systems
- Image Retrieval Systems
- Signature Verification Software
Preferred Certifications, Licenses or systems:
- FIS Global Banking Core System knowledge strongly preferred
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong knowledge of the core and support bank processing system
- Strong knowledge of the signature verification software.
- Strong knowledge of the check image retrieval system.
- General working knowledge of MS Office