Accounting Policy and SOX Manager
CategoryAccounting and Finance
Job Location7830 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, MD
Eagle Bancorp, Inc. headquartered in Bethesda, MD, was incorporated in 1997 to serve as the bank holding company for EagleBank. Eagle Bancorp is a publicly traded company under the symbol EGBN. EagleBank commenced banking operations on July 20, 1998, and currently operates 20 banking offices: six in Suburban, Maryland, five located in the District of Columbia; and nine in Northern Virginia. The Bank was founded to specifically address the business and personal needs of local business owners. It has been answering and exceeding those needs for over 20 years, providing custom financial solutions, local access to senior management, quick response, local decision-making, and a deeply-rooted dedication to the local community.
Our Mission is to be the most respected and profitable community bank by putting relationships first to the delight of our customers, employees, and shareholders, and relentlessly deliver the most compelling service and value. Eagle Bank’s Values are: Relationships F·I·R·S·T: Flexible, Involved, Responsive, Strong, and Trusted.
This role is responsible for accounting policy research and implementation as well as administering the SOX program, monitoring the control environment and ensuring controls are properly executed and auditable, process changes and the design of existing internal controls, as well as assisting with the implementation of new internal controls. The individual will identify, track and implement new accounting pronouncements. Provides direction and oversight to all business segments in the implementation of new and execution of existing internal controls related to financial reporting activities in accordance with company requirements. Actively participates and may coordinate activities in the organization-wide Management Controls Assessment (MCA), SOX, COSO internal control framework guidance, and support of Operational Risk reporting requirements.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor and assess the control environment for changes in risks, processes, guidance, and emerging trends/developments.
- Research U.S. GAAP technical accounting and regulatory matters, preparing policy, procedure, and whitepapers as needed.
- Assesses and maintains the Company’s Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR) framework with the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX 404). Oversees the implementation or revision of key financial controls when process changes or control gaps are identified.
- Serve as a resource on accounting policy research matters and guide internal processes to comply with GAAP.
- Identify, track and implement new accounting pronouncements.
- Assist in the creation, testing, and management of technology solutions, using approved platforms and applications to support the information and communication needs of the SOX Program Team.
- Administers the SOX program. Works directly with departments to ensure that controls are properly designed, operating effectively and accurately designated as key controls, if needed.
- If needed, design and perform testing of identified SOX Key Controls requiring reviews during cycles not tested by Internal Audit or randomly.
- Lead or assist in the external audit efficiency efforts by working with teams across the bank.
- Coordinates the annual control readiness reviews and deficiency remediation plans with the appropriate Control Owners prior to testing.
- Maintain a central data repository for Business Process and Control Owners to upload all supporting documentation required for walk-through testing, annual test of controls, and financial statement audit requests.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting, Finance or related field
- An appropriate certification in accounting and/or auditing is mandatory, including a CPA and/or CIA
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Public accounting experience
- Financial services experience a plus
- Big Four public accounting experience
Preferred Certifications, Licenses or systems:
- Certified in Corporate Governance (CGOV)
- Certified in Integrated Risk Management (CIRM)
- Certified in Internal Control Management (CICM)
- Certified in Governance, Risk, and Compliance (CGRC)
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Finance, accounting or related experience with a focus on process design and improvement. Preference for experience supporting regulatory compliance, operational risk management, or financial reporting.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, PCAOB Auditing Standards, Sarbanes-Oxley, risk and controls standards and business process best practices.
- Proven ability to work effectively with virtual teams, to set realistic deadlines, and to effectively manage one’s own time and priorities to meet those deadlines including regular communication and updates to the MCA Group.
- Process oriented, data driven, and exceptionally well organized and detailed.
- Ability to work individually or with different teams on various projects.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel and PowerPoint, especially the integration with other MS products.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Working knowledge of internal control concepts including the COSO 2013 internal control framework preferred